Monday, May 31, 2021

 https://boards.4channel.org/tg/thread/79521668#p79533931

>For those anons that do run 1E, why?
I used to run 1e RAW. the mechanics didn’t bother me so much as the player facing content. I love the mechanics of 1e since I love detailed and technical mechanics to really sink my teeth into and burn my brain on. I don’t mind longer, more complicated games with more mechanical depth.

However in playing 1e I had consistent issues with several of its core elements. The Monk and Assassin classes, for example. Every time a player played Monk he either went full weeb or full campy Kung fu movie. Monks are really easy to kill at level 1, so he was also a useless contributor to the party. Every Assassin PC also added more work for me as the DM to handle their “secret mission” shenanigans. Even if the player was good, the PC was an unneeded strain. If I had to spend every game banning Assassins, Monks, Bards, Psionics and other core elements of the game, why wouldn’t I just find a game that had less issues to begin with? 

My preferred game now is 0e. Because OD&D eventually turned into AD&D, it is very malleable and fitting for AD&D-isms to be stapled into it. I can take the mechanics I like about AD&D and fit them into OD&D seamlessly, without posting over the elements that I don’t. I can also use AD&D’s race and class system as a “fix” or “upgrade” for OD&D’s very vague and confusing explanation. 

I also enjoyed 2e. In my opinion 2e fixes all the problems I had with 1e, and provides a more streamlined game on top. It’s not perfect but it’s better than 1e RAW. Unfortunately the community for 2e is not there, unless you like playing with 40 year old+ grognards. 

I don’t play B/X because it is an intentionally simpler game. If I wanted to use the more complex mechanics in B/X, I’d have to house rule it on such a grand scale that it’s better that I should find a different system. For me, a blend of OD&D and AD&D is the game I want to play, but BX is for a simpler experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I like OSRIC’s character sheet, and even though it’s missing some important fields for AD&D 1e and feels more like a B/X sheet, it’s st...