Sunday, May 16, 2021

Dynamic Lighting

 I have to bite the bullet and buy a Roll 20 subscription, just for the dynamic lighting. The player engagement it results in is amazing, they become so much more immersed. I used to try manually removing fog of war, but that slowed the game down, made more work for me as the DM to shuffle about, and caused players to move passively. Combined with isometric maps and tokens, and it’s almost like they’re playing an isometric cRPG.

It’s sad but the best way to play D&D online is to present it as close to a video game as possible. I very strongly tried to resist this but it’s the sad nature of people sitting in front of a computer not seeing each other.

Theater of the mind is the best and most immersive way to play but it does not translate to online voice and video software. I’ve had too many players play video games on Steam in the background during my sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I like OSRIC’s character sheet, and even though it’s missing some important fields for AD&D 1e and feels more like a B/X sheet, it’s st...