Friday, May 28, 2021

 I’m going to move my dungeon crawls into meatspace. I have sets of dungeon tiles and the Advanced Heroquest rules to help me quickly generate dungeon layouts. I can use my miniature figures as a PC party and monsters. I can use the AD&D rules for movement, combat, timing, etc. I can make character sheets and pull monster stats from the MM. I can do this all to run my own solo dungeon crawls with AD&D

Maybe after a few dungeon crawls I’ll move into hex crawling with this method as well

I bought Mage Knight and still haven’t learned the rules. I realize now because I don’t give a shit about Mage Knight. I just wanted the hex tiles. Hex crawling with hex tiles should be easy for fun and profit. In the event of an encounter, I’ll just move my miniature figures over to a battlemap and use the AD&D outdoor combat rules.

4 comments:

  1. Check out Heroscape, too: not necessarily for the minis, but for the interlocking hex tiles. I'm guessing they will be larger than the Mage Knight equivalent bases, but they are color coded, fairly durable, some textured - but designed for a mini to sit on them, and more importantly, they lock together - which is super nice if the table gets bumped unintentionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only problem with Heroscape was the cost and the tiles were made for skirmish battle scale. I needed world region hex tiles.

      Actually Civilization: New Dawn had the most beautiful tiles I’d ever seen, but that’s a wholly different genre! šŸ˜…

      ...come to think of it I should still buy it anyway.šŸ¤”

      Delete
    2. I just looked up Heroscape... good night - I wish I hadn't pawned the old set off on my roommate when we parted ways! When I remember we bought it, they were $7 for a booster: now, the individual minis from the boosters are double that by themselves! I should keep up with the times, it seems!

      Delete
    3. yeah they are very expensive. Impractical to make a hex map that way.

      Delete

 I like OSRIC’s character sheet, and even though it’s missing some important fields for AD&D 1e and feels more like a B/X sheet, it’s st...