Sunday, October 2, 2022

The Man-to-Man Combat Table and D&D

I don't think the Man-to-Man table was ever intended to be used with D&D. The Mass Combat rules dovetail so nicely with both the Fighting Capability column and Monster HD that it does feel like the game was developed out of those rules, while the M2M table and D&D's level progression seem at odds with each other. Generally, every attempt to reconcile them has some struggles - the very first can be seen by Gygax himself in Supplement 1: Greyhawk.

I've seen some implementations that try to use the M2M table as the universal melee resolution mechanic for D&D, but I think that only works when two combatants are of the same type. For example, if two men are fighting or two heroes. In the case of Man vs. Hero or Superhero, it makes more sense to me to revert to the Mass Combat rules. I prefer squad combat and simultaneous hits over individual combat and tracking hitpoints over multiple rounds. Actually I don't even use hitpoints in the PbP game that I'm running, just the appropriate number of successes on d6 for a hit.

If you select the M2M table for use only against opponents of the same category, then you can still involve the "Fighting Capability" column of D&D for bonuses. For example, a "Man + 1" would roll 2d6+1 for his chance to hit another Man

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I like OSRIC’s character sheet, and even though it’s missing some important fields for AD&D 1e and feels more like a B/X sheet, it’s st...