Saturday, August 29, 2020

My OD&D campaign

 I'm using the Outdoor Survival map for my wilderness map. I was looking for a good outdoor terrain map and briefly considered using Mystara or the Wilderlands of High Fantasy since I already have them, but I figure if I'm playing OD&D it'd be really neat to go straight back to the source.

Book 3 states: "Catch basins are castles, buildings are towns, and the balance of the terrain is as indicated."

That doesn't leave a whole lot of towns.

I've recently taken a liking to isometric maps, especially for online gaming as I feel they increase immersion and player engagement, but there's not a whole lot of isometric maps out there gridded and scaled for RPG play. 4e actually has some really neat isometric maps courtesy of a blogger, and Greyhawk got one in 2e's City of Greyhawk boxed set. 

So I guess my towns are going to be a mishmash of the Nentir Vale and Greyhawk. Players can start in Fallcrest and travel to Greyhawk or Winterhaven or whatever. It actually seems pretty neat, to turn this setting into a mishmash of everything that was once D&D. Maybe Specularum could be placed innocuously in one place on the map, Threshold in another, etc...


UPDATE: On second thought, the Outdoor Survival map doesn’t give you a whole lot to work with, and the OD&D rules only “open doors without going in”, to paraphrase the Immortals box. 

The original Judge’s Guild Wilderlands of High Fantasy, though, has a ton of content, tables for generating more content, and fleshes out the skeletons of the rules that were introduced in OD&D. I think I’m going to transition my OD&D game to a hex crawl of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy.

I might just use Advanced Heroquest’s dungeon map generation and stocking tables for the dungeon crawl part.

 UPDATE 2: Use Monsters & Treasure Assortment for ready made dungeon encounters.

UPDATE 3: Yeah, now just going to use Nentir Vale, because a guy made isometric maps of all the Nentir Vale towns and I can use my isometric tokens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I like OSRIC’s character sheet, and even though it’s missing some important fields for AD&D 1e and feels more like a B/X sheet, it’s st...