Monday, June 8, 2020

Re-review of the Mythic Game Master Emulator

I did a re-review of the Mythic GME here:
Mythic Game Master Review

Every time I tried to use Mythic as written, I found myself having to do all the GM work, then act as a player, and then use the Mythic worksheets to find the result. It doesn't work as advertised, which is to cut out the GM role. Rather, I've found it to be a tool to let you play both sides of GM and player, but it's labor intensive and feels more like doing my taxes than actually playing a game. I've found it easier to just do all the GM stuff myself, and then use Mythic Fate Q&A to see what the "player" characters do. In this method I found that it actually is possible to use Mythic to emulate the player side of the game, and not have to do it myself. And if you think about it, in a normal game session the DM is actually playing the game a lot more than the players. But in sticking strickly to OSR games by randomly generating dungeons and wandering monsters and treasure, I've found it possible to play without a GM at all, by treating it mostly as a board game where I move miniatures over a square- or hex- grid map and resolve encounters.
I tried dipping into miniature wargaming because of the advertised potential for solo, but again it comes down to playing both sides, which turned boring for me very quickly. (and if your wargame requires a referee/umpire shudder)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I like OSRIC’s character sheet, and even though it’s missing some important fields for AD&D 1e and feels more like a B/X sheet, it’s st...