Saturday, February 9, 2019

Storm King's Thunder session 7: Eye of the All-Father

Read the whole chapter, but still want to push my characters through anyway.

Added a bunch more resources for this chapter:
4 character sheets - I will be using only one character as my POV character, but the rest are for combat and party balance, and for their own unique abilities.  Also some 'non-adventurer' characters have been added, its assumed these stay at the back of the camp and do not venture into any dungeons.

Mythic Fate chart - determine odds, random actions, extra information and details.

Mythic Adventure sheet - for recording the initial set up of a scene and the chaos factor. Also tracking NPCs and stuff for the Event Randomizer charts

All other rules are taken from the Dungeon Master's Guide and Player's Handbook. (I'm using as much direction from the 1st Edition DMG as I can fit into the 5E system, and once I'm done with STK and move on to a 1E module such as T1, the Village of Hommlet, the 5E manuals would hopefully become obsolete)

End results of the session:
Made a quick run of the first 3 areas of Eye of the All-Father. Using 5E's reckoning of 1 turn = 6 seconds, then 10 turns would = 1 minute and 600 turns = 1 hour, I figured it'd be easiest to just keep a tally of turns as I played, and calculate the time spent after it was all over.

Using the Fate chart with a Chaos factor of 5, I found it very easy to get "yes" answers. Since everything this session went favorably to my characters, I dropped the Chaos factor to 4. This system seems flawed to me, as its geared to snowball in one direction or another.

No combat this session but my characters are rapidly approaching the barbarians in area 4 so there might be something interesting then.

No skill challenges since there isn't an interesting trigger. The only thing that happened is a triggered trap, but it was too easy to avoid. I feel that the 5E adventures are written to be 'convenient' to the players, rather than as deadly as this module said it was in the introduction. Only the combat against Giants was deadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I like OSRIC’s character sheet, and even though it’s missing some important fields for AD&D 1e and feels more like a B/X sheet, it’s st...