Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Storm King's Thunder: session 5

I was able to jump right in and start playing this session, due to the fact that I had already dealt with all the number crunch overhead during the prep for this chapter. Regardless, I don't want to ever stall my play sessions just to deal with overhead, so from now on I'll be playing smaller sessions where I will mix play and DM crunch at the same time. Even if my PCs make little progress per session, I expect this will be more rewarding than doing all the planning beforehand and burning myself out before I have even begun playing.

My PCs made modest gain this session, traveling from Calling Horns to Noanar's Hold, arriving at the inn and completing a quest at the village keep. There are two possible quest hooks here - murderhobo kill the 5 undead Hunt Lords in the keep, or get involved in an inheritance dispute between 3 aristocrat brothers. Sergor and Aldellah, being pragmatic, nature minded, survival oriented, uncivilized barbarians, would have nothing to do with either quest, though my d20 rolled high so I guess I have to be involved.

I did chide my wife during a session that if she wanted to play the game, she should actually commit to playing the game, but in my own solo sessions I'm studiously avoiding every encounter and am relieved on every failed random encounter roll. I think maybe I don't actually want to play STK, but just run through the story on my own.

On the other hand, I did join a Facebook group centered around D&D solo play, and through them found many resources to aid in solo play, so I now have more tools to craft a richer experience for myself. What I enjoy more, however, is reading examples of other people's solo play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I like OSRIC’s character sheet, and even though it’s missing some important fields for AD&D 1e and feels more like a B/X sheet, it’s st...